Your ideas become reality® with Armstrong.com®
© 2000-2007 AWI Licensing Company. All rights reserved
Effective as of May 01, 2006
Care and Maintenance Guidelines for Hartco® HartGuard®, HartGuard® Deluxe and Permion® Finish Floors
Proper care and maintenance will help ensure your floor always looks its best. Simply follow our maintenance and prevention steps outlined below.
Following installation, clean with Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner. If the floor was glued down, remove any residual adhesive with the appropriate adhesive remover.
Ongoing Routine Care and Maintenance:
1. Vacuum, sweep or dust mop your floor once a week, or more if needed. The vacuum head must be brush or felt, and a wand attachment is preferable. Do not use vacuums with beater bars or hard heads. A Hartco® hardwood floor swivel-head mop with terry cloth cover is also highly recommended to eliminate finer particles of grit and dirt that can act like sandpaper on hardwood floors.
2. Spills and tracked-in dirt should be wiped up immediately. For spot cleaning, apply Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner onto a clean cloth and rub onto the spot. Never apply wax treatments to your urethane-coated floor.
3. Periodically, as necessary, thoroughly clean the floor with Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner using a Hartco® hardwood floor swivel-head mop with terry cloth cover. Spray the floor cleaner directly onto the floor or dampen the swivel-head mop and apply. DO NOT allow excess Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner to remain on the floor's surface. Excess liquid may damage the fiber of the wood.
4. Use interior and exterior doormats at all entrances to collect dirt and moisture and prevent it from being tracked onto the floor.
5. Area rugs are recommended in front of kitchen sinks, at all pivot points and within high-traffic areas. Do not use rugs with solid rubber or vinyl backings. The rugs must be made of a breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment.
6. Never clean or wet mop with water. Water may permanently damage the floor.
7. Never use any of the following products (or products similar in nature) on your floor: ammonia-based cleaners, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, detergents, bleach, polishes, oil soap, abrasive cleaning soaps, or acidic materials such as vinegar. Many of these products can pit or etch the finish of your flooring or prevent the proper use of recommended maintenance materials.
8. Keep animal nails trimmed to minimize finish scratches.
9. Do not damage your floor with shoes having heel taps or sharp objects protruding from the sole such as rocks, exposed nails and gravel.
10. Avoid walking on wood floors with spike- or stiletto-heeled shoes. Spike or stiletto high-heels must be properly maintained to prevent damage from the steel heel support.
11. Do not roll or slide heavy objects directly upon the floor. When moving appliances or heavy furniture, consider laying a solid protective covering on your floor and gently "walk" the item across it. Carpet or cardboard is not adequate to prevent surface compression scratches.
12. Use furniture leg protector pads under all furniture and make certain to keep them clean and well maintained.
13. Replace hard, narrow furniture rollers with wide rubber rollers.
14. Keep the relative humidity in your home between 35% and 55%.
15. Protect your floor from direct sunlight. Use curtains and UV resistant film on large glass doors and windows. Move area rugs occasionally as they block sunlight and may give the appearance of discoloring under the rug.
Quick Fix Tips
Spots caused by food,water or animals
• Apply Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner to a clean soft cloth.
• Rub the area to remove the stain or spot.
• More stubborn spots may require additional cleaning with Hartco® Wipe Clean, followed by cleaning with Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner.
Grease/Lipstick/Crayon/Ink Spots/Rubber Heel Marks
• Apply Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner to a clean soft cloth.
• Rub the area to remove the stain or spot.
• If stain remains, rub with a cloth dampened with Hartco® Wipe Clean and follow up by cleaning area with Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner.
Chewing Gum, Candle Wax
• Apply a sealed plastic bag filled with ice on top of the deposit.
• Wait until deposit becomes brittle enough to crumble off.
• After deposit has been removed, clean entire area with Hartco® Easy Clean floor cleaner.
• Use Hartco's Touch-Up Kit to make minor repairs
Chips, broken edges and gaps
• Blend area with appropriate Hartco® touch up pen or fill stick from Hartco® Touch-Up Kit or the appropriate Hartco® Filler.
• Individual planks, strips or parquets that are heavily gouged or damaged can be replaced.
Care and Maintenance Guidelines for Hartco® HartWood® Plank, HartWood® Parquet and Pattern Plus®5000. (Non-urethane finish)
Follow these instructions in addition to the previous maintenance and floor care tips:
Renewing worn areas:
• Residential: In worn areas refurbish the flooring with an application of Hartco® Spray Tone. Mist the Hartco® Spray Tone on the floor and rub briskly until it has been completely absorbed into the wood. Allow no excess to remain on the surface. Allow the Hartco® Spray Tone to dry overnight.
• Commercial: Using a commercial buffer mist the Hartco® Spray Tone on the floor and buff until dry. For machines of less than 175 RPM, use red pads; machines of higher speed (up to 1,000 RPM) should use white- or buff-colored pads.
Renewing gloss levels:
• Residential: Apply several thin coats of Hartco® Pattern Plus® Shine as necessary to maintain the appearance of the floor.
• Commercial: Use a commercial buffer. If the machine is 175 RPM or less, use red or white pads if higher speed. Mist Hartco® Spray Shield in front of the machine and buff until dry. Apply as many coats as necessary to achieve the appearance needed. With minimal usage the floor can be maintained at a satin gloss level. More frequent applications can adjust the gloss to a very high level.
Who is Covered?
All warranties in this Limited Warranty Guide are given only to the original retail purchaser of our product. Our warranties are not transferable.
What is Covered and For How Long?
The limited warranties described at right are subject to the product applications, limitations, disclaimers and exclusions described below and are effective for floors purchased after May 1, 2006. All warranties run from the date of retail purchase for the applicable period described at right.
What Are You Responsible For Under Our Warranties?
To be covered under our warranties (except under the Pre-installation Defects Warranty) you need to retain your sales slip and make sure that the flooring is properly installed in accordance with our installation instructions provided with the flooring. To be covered under our Lifetime Subfloor Moisture Protection Warranty, keep your proof of pre-installation moisture test results and sales slip confirming use of our recommended adhesives. To be covered under our Radiant-heated Subfloor Warranty, keep the flooring surface at or below 85° F (29° C) and the relative humidity between 35% and 55%. You must also properly care for your new floor using our easy-to-follow maintenance instructions on the reverse side of this brochure. We recommend that you use only our specially formulated floor care products to preserve your flooring. Use of floor care products other than those we have specially formulated for use on our flooring products may damage your floor and void this warranty.
What Will We Do If Any Of The Covered Events Occurs?
If any of the covered events listed in this guide occurs within the warranty periods specified for the respective flooring product,we will recoat, refinish, fill or furnish comparable flooring (of our manufacture and of similar color, pattern, and quality), for either the repair of the defective area or the replacement of the floor, at our option. In the unlikely event that we are unable to correct the problem after a reasonable number of attempts,we will refund the portion of the purchase price for the section of failed flooring. If your floor was professionally installed,we will also pay reasonable labor costs for the direct repairs or replacement within the first five years of the warranty period, or the length of the warranty period, whichever is less. These warranties do not include removal or replacement of cabinets and other fixtures.
For our products with the Lifetime Subfloor Moisture Protection Warranty, we will replace or repair such flooring no more than once, which is your exclusive remedy under this warranty. If the replacement or repair fails in the same manner a second time, the site conditions will be deemed unacceptable for the installation of our hardwood floors.
These are the exclusive remedies under this warranty if a defect or other warranted condition occurs. We reserve the right to verify any claims or defect by inspection and have samples removed for technical analysis.
What Is Not Covered By These Warranties?
• Wood flooring installed in full bathrooms with a shower or tub.
• Damage caused by fire, flooding, and other natural disasters and Acts of God.
• Damage caused by negligence, accidents, misuse or abuse.
• Damage caused by vacuum cleaner beater bar or hard heads (see Care and Maintenance Guidelines).
• Damage caused by appliances, furniture and casters (see Care and Maintenance Guidelines).
• Damage caused by cutting from sharp objects (see Care and Maintenance Guidelines).
• Reduction in gloss, scratches or indentation due to sand, pebbles or other abrasives, pets, insects, construction traffic, or failure to maintain the floor as required (see Care and Maintenance Guidelines).
• Color, shade or texture variations between samples, printed color photography or replacement flooring and the actual material.
• Color variations between flooring and/or samples and other flooring or wood products, which you wish to match (e.g., cabinets, stair railings, trim, etc.).
• Deficiencies related to subfloor/floor joist assemblies, subfloor preparation materials, and fasteners including, but not limited to, uneven subfloor surfaces, floor deflection or voids in the subfloor.
• Noises (squeaks, etc.) associated with anything other than the mismanufacture of the flooring.
• Naturally occurring wood characteristics such as variations in grain, color, mineral streaks and knots.
• Changes in color due to exposure to sunlight and age.
• Natural expansion and contraction resulting in separation between boards or damage caused by low or excessive humidity.
• Products designated as "thrift," "antique," "tavern," "bargain," "cabin grade," "seconds," "economy grade," "rustic," "close-out," "off-goods" or "non-standard." Such products are sold "AS IS."
• Floors that are installed in other than owner-occupied or tenant-occupied residences.
• Commercial installations of residential products.
• Construction or installation-related damage.
• Floors damaged or adhesive breakdown caused by subfloor moisture or water damage, including without limitation, due to broken or leaking water pipes, flooding,wet-mopping spills or weather conditions.
• Installation defects, including installations made: (i) in violation of applicable state or local housing or building codes, or (ii) contrary to written instructions furnished with the product.
NOTE: YOU AND YOUR INSTALLER ARE RESPONSIBLE TO INSPECT FLOORING PRIOR TO INSTALLATION. WE ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR LIABILITIES, CLAIMS OR EXPENSES, INCLUDING LABOR COSTS,WHERE FLOORING WITH VISIBLE DEFECTS HAS BEEN INSTALLED.
YORKSHIRE™ PLANK SOLID 15-YEAR WARRANTY
Lifetime Structural Integrity Warranty (1): YES
Residential Finish Warranty (in years) (2): 25
Commercial Finish Warranty (in years) (3): N/A
Wood Wear Layer Warranty (in years) (4): N/A
3 Times Sanding Warranty (5): N/A
Lifetime Adhesive Bond Warranty (6): YES
Lifetime Subfloor Moisture Protection Warranty (7): N/A
Pre-Installation Defects Warranty (8): YES
Radiant Heated Subfloor Warranty (9): N/A
(1) We warrant that the covered products, in their original manufactured condition, will be free from defects in grading, lamination and assembly for as long as you (the original purchaser) own the floor.
(2) We warrant to you (the original purchaser) that for the period indicated, the finish on the covered product will not wear through, and that the finish will not separate from the wood
flooring under normal household use when maintained in accordance with our recommended maintenance guidelines.
(3) We warrant to you (the original purchaser) that for the period indicated, the finish on the covered product will not wear through, and that the finish will not separate from the wood
flooring under normal commercial use when maintained in accordance with our recommended maintenance guidelines.
(4) We warrant to you (the original purchaser) that for the period indicated, the acrylic impregnated wear layer will not wear through under normal household or commercial use when maintained in accordance with our recommended maintenance guidelines.
(5) We warrant to you (the original purchaser) that the covered products may be professionally sanded and refinished at least 3 times if proper sanding and refinishing procedures are followed as specified by the National Wood Flooring Association (www.nwfa.org
(6) We warrant to you (the original purchaser) that for as long as you own your floor, each of our recommended adhesives will maintain its bond when properly installed with our covered flooring products and when maintained in accordance with our recommended maintenance guidelines.
(7) We warrant that each of the covered products, when properly installed with our recommended adhesives according to our installation instructions (including proper subfloor moisture testing), will not release from the subfloor for as long as you (the original purchaser) own your floor. This means that prior to installation, your subfloor must be inspected to assure your subfloor does not exceed maximum allowable moisture levels. To ensure your warranty remains effective, keep your proof of pre-installation moisture test results. If subfloor exceeds maximum allowable moisture levels, the subfloor must be allowed to dry or Armstrong's S-135 VapArrest™ Moisture Remediation System should be used. Subfloors with known moisture problems are not covered by this warranty. This is a one-time repair and replacement warranty only.
(7A) Residential Warranty
We warrant that, when the Armstrong S-135 VapArrest Moisture Redmediation System is used in conjunction with our recommended urethane adhesives for BRUCE®, ARMSTRONG™ Hardwood Flooring by HARTCO®, and ROBBINS® brand engineered hardwood flooring, the terms of the applicable subfloor moisture warranty for such flooring will apply without the requirement of pre-installation moisture test, provided that the subfloor is visually dry before installation and all other installation instructions are followed.
(7B) Commercial Warranty
For commercial applications, when Armstrong S-135 VapArrest Moisture Remediation System is used in conjunction with our recommended urethane adhesives for BRUCE, ARMSTRONG Hardwood Flooring by HARTCO, and ROBBINS brand engineered hardwood flooring, the terms of the applicable subfloor moisture warranty for such flooring will apply for a 3 year period from the time of installation, provided that a proper moisture test is conducted. This means that prior to installation your subfloor must be inspected to assure your subfloor does not exceed the maximum allowable moisture level for usage of Armstrong S-135 VapArrest Moisture Remediation System. Subfloor moisture levels must be less than 12 lbs./24hours/1000 sq. ft. per a calcium chloride test. To ensure your warranty remains effective, keep your proof of pre-installation moisture test results. If subfloor exceeds maximum allowable moisture levels, the subfloor must be allowed to dry. Subfloors with known moisture problems are not covered by this warranty. This is a one-time repair and replacement warranty only.
(8) We warrant that the covered products meet our quality standards. You or your installer should carefully inspect the products before installation for any milling, dimension or visual
defects. Any uncut pieces that appear to have defects should be returned to the original place of purchase; those pieces that do not meet our specifications will be replaced. Since
wood is a natural product, there will be natural variations in color, tone and grain that are not covered by this warranty. The pre-installation warranty expires upon installation.
(9) We warrant to you (the original purchaser) that the covered products, when properly installed according to our installation instructions over radiant-heated subfloors that are engineered for the R-rating of the wood flooring product, will not buckle as long as the finished flooring surface does not exceed 85° F (29° C) during the life of the floor and the relative humidity levels are maintained between 35% and 55%.
What Is Excluded From These Warranties?
None of our installers, retailers, distributors or employees has the authority to alter the obligations, limitations, disclaimers or exclusions under any of our warranties.
WE EXCLUDE AND WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR OR PAY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES UNDER OUR WARRANTIES.
By this we mean any loss, expense, or damage other than to the flooring itself that may result from a defect in the flooring. Our limited warranties constitute the only express warranties for the product purchased.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW AND FOR ALL NON-CONSUMER PRODUCT, ALL WARRANTIES OTHER THAN OUR LIMITED WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE DISCLAIMED. IF ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY ARISES UNDER STATE LAW, ANY AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES (INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE) ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS WRITTEN WARRANTY,TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW EXCLUSION OR LIMITATIONS OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
THESE WARRANTIES GIVE YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
What Should You Do If You Have A Problem?
We want you to be happy with your floor purchase. If you are not, call your retail store first.They can answer your questions and, if necessary, start to process a claim. If you have further questions, please contact us at:
Armstrong Claims Department
P. O. Box 3001
Lancaster, Pennsylvania 17604-3001
1 800 233 3823
PLEASE KEEP YOUR SALES RECEIPT. INFORMATION REGARDING THE CLAIMED DEFECT AND DATE AND PROOF OF PURCHASE MUST BE PROVIDED.
Hartco® Floor Care Products
Easy Clean: A unique cleaner that lifts soil from the surface of the urethane finish without leaving a film. Just apply the cleaner onto a clean cloth for cleaning small areas or spray directly onto the floor and use a Hartco® hardwood floor swivel-head mop with terry cloth cover for cleaning the entire area.
Other recommended floor cleaners include Bruce® Dura-Luster® No-Wax Floor Cleaner and Robbins® ForEver II™ Floor Cleaner.
Wipe Clean: A cleaner specifically designed for the removal of petroleum-based stains and spills. Used for removal of rubber heel marks, grease,wax and asphalt. Simply apply to a clean, dry cloth and wipe the stain free from the finish.
Floor Care Kit: A quick, easy-to-use cleaning kit for all urethane-finished hardwood floors. Kit includes one bottle of Hartco® Easy Clean and one Hartco® hardwood floor swivel-head mop with terry cloth cover, a mega-size mop with swivel handle that makes cleaning quick and easy, even under furniture.
Touch-Up Kit: Used for blending scratches and nicks on urethane-finished floors. The kit contains touch-up markers and filler sticks that blend with the factory finished stains plus complete instructions and materials to easily repair many problems.
Acrylic Filler: Designed to conveniently fill gaps, small openings and broken edges. Simply apply the material on the area to be repaired and wipe away excess with a damp towel.
Replacement Mop Covers: Soft, absorbent, terry cloth covers, elastic-fitted for quick and easy replacement on the Hartco® hardwood floor swivel-head mop.
For HartWood® (non-Permion) finished products ONLY.
Do not use the following products on urethane-finished floors.
Spray Tone: Used for light scratches or color loss on Hartco® Acrylic-Impregnated floors without Permion® finish. Spray and buff.
Spray Shield: Used for renewal and maintaining gloss levels. Spray and buff.
Pattern Plus® Shine: Used to renew gloss levels and maintain the finish in residential applications of Pattern Plus®, Pattern Plus® 5000 and HartWood® Parquet. Apply with Hartco® hardwood floor swivel-head mop with terry cloth cover. Does not require buffing.
Pattern Plus Shine Remover: Used to remove Hartco® Pattern Plus® Shine and Hartco® Spray Shield.