How durable is your laminate flooring?
Why AC Ratings?
An important step in choosing a laminate floor is determining the level of durability you require. Efloors.com lists industry certified AC Ratings to help you decide if a laminate floor has the right durability for your particular project. You'll find the AC rating for each product shown on the Product Detail page under the
How are AC ratings determined?
One important factor in determining the AC rating is abrasion resistance which is determined scientifically using a taber abrasion tester. Other factors taken into consideration are impact resistance and resistance to staining and cigarette burns. If a laminate floor is not rated, it may have been found lacking in one or more of these areas during the testing process
and thus not certified.
Here are the Five Levels of AC Ratings:
- AC1 - laminate flooring is designed for residential areas with light traffic. Great for bedrooms.
- AC2 - laminate flooring can withstand more traffic than AC1. Suitable for living rooms and dining rooms.
- AC3 - laminate flooring can withstand any type of heavy residential traffic and may also be used in a professional setting with light traffic.
- AC4 - laminate flooring is designed for commercial applications with moderately intense traffic. Ideal for small shops and offices.
- AC5 - laminate flooring is designed for high-traffic commercial areas like department stores, shopping centers, and office buildings. It has a rough finish that can withstand the most abuse.
The commercially rated AC4 and AC5 laminates may not be ideal for your home since the rougher surfaces will not be as comfortable to bare feet, and have often been reported to cause holes in socks.
Laminate flooring is both practical and beautiful. Color, texture and overall appearance are the main attributes most people look for when choosing a new laminate flooring for their home. But, knowing the AC Rating of your selection will give you the added confidence that you are making the right choice for your purpose and for your pocketbook.
If you have additional questions about AC Ratings or selecting the right laminate for your project, simply give us a call at 1-888-522-5456. Our expert customer service team is on hand to make your decision easy.